Do you spend an excess amount of time trying to locate documents you wrote or saved on your hard or cloud drive? Scattered electronic documents create the same visual clutter as paper clutter, diminishing your mental energy. As with paper documents, computer-generated documents can be lost unless you have a system to locate them quickly.
How to get back in control with computer documents:
- Create file folders as you do with paper folders to narrow your search time.
- Group same subjects and topics together.
- Tags and keywords are great tools to help you zero in on the subject.
- Choose file folder names that make sense for you and your business.
- Be consistent in your filing system, for example—File Folder: ?Clients. File name: Last Name, First Name, Company Name, and Date. 193
- Let’s Get Productive! z z z
- For example: Clients (Main Folder, equivalent to Pendaflex®) Ames,
John, Acme Tools, 05.06.11 (equivalent to a manila file folder)
- On a quarterly or annual basis, block time on the calendar to purge data you have saved.